Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Blogger Javascript Error "Permission Denied" in IE6

Problem Statement

I get a Javascript error (Line: 619 Char: 122 Error: Permission Denied) when my blog is loaded in Internet Explorer 6 (IE6) and the Google Friend Connect or the Follower widget doesn't load. Refer to the screenshot of the error below. The blog loads fine in Firefox 3.5 and Google Chrome 4.x.



Root Cause

The root cause is the conflict between the Poll widget and Google Friend Connect (GFC) or the Follower widget. If the page layout is such that the Poll widget loads first, I get the error. If GFC loads first, then there's no error.

Solution

I don't have a fix that addresses the root cause, but here are a few options that you could try:
  • Change the page layout such that GFC (or the Follower widget) loads before the Poll widget.
  • Remove the Poll Widget as a "widget" and embed it inside a blog post. This is the option that I've chosen. On the top menu, I've added a link to the Poll page. Obviously, this defeats the purpose of running a poll, but if your page layout cannot be changed due to some reason, then this is the next best option.
  • The obvious option is to get rid of either GFC or the Poll widget.

I posted this issue on the official GFC forum, but unfortunately, there's hardly any help available there.

If I find a better fix, I'll post an update here, and if you know of a proper fix to address the root cause, do let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand your last option "Curse Microsoft, and do nothing else.". The conflict in scripts happens between the GFC widget and the Poll widget libraries. Neither of which have anything to do directly with Microsoft. That is like punching your neighbor in the face because your car didn't start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jared,

    Thanks for your comment.

    First of all, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Now just for the sake of fun, if my neighbor was responsible for messing up with my car on the previous ten occasions, perhaps I should be forgiven for punching him in the face on the 11th occasion, even if the neighbor was not the culprit this time :)

    BTW, I'm not sure whether it's the script conflict alone or IE has something to do with it because if former was the case, then I would expect it to fail on other browsers too. Since I don't have sufficient information to blame MS in this case, I'm going to take that statement out.

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete

Click here to comment on this post